Here's Hoping

Happy Labor Day!

Unfortunately, I have to work, the buses don't run, and half of campus is closed. Sad.

Anyway, we've had quite a storm for much of the day, and the temperature has plummeted forty-five degrees since yesterday, and there is now snow on the mountains. Long sleeves in August? What is this world coming to? ;D I've really been spoiled by the Florida summer. In March, when it finally got back above freezing, we all wore our shorts and short sleeves. Now, when the thermometer hovers around 50, I'm all bundled up. Oh yeah.

There hasn't been much new lately. I suppose it's the deep breath before the plunge. I'm extremely excited about school tomorrow, which ought to be very interesting and entertaining. I love first days, because you don't really do anything except watch your professor stand up front and go over the syllabus. I think some would call that boring, but I see it as a chance to scope out the professor without the distraction of actually having to pay attention. To a lecture.

Also, the syllabus can really give you the lay of the land when it comes to that professor, especially if you take the time to read between the lines. For example, say you see this on a syllabus: "I have a strict cell phone policy. If you fail to silence your phone and it disrupts my class, you will be asked to leave." This can usually be translated as "I am in charge of this class, and you will bow to my will in all things."

However, if you get something like this: "I understand that you have lives and obligations outside of this classroom, and that you may receive calls while in class. With this understanding, please silence your cell phone and step out if you need to take a call." Something like this means, "I am a benevolent facilitator to your learning experience, and understand that however valuable the material I cover is and will be to you, it is still merely one of the many facets of your interesting lives, and will always be regarded by me as such." I just love those professors.

I already know I have one of those benevolent-facilitator types, as I have had him before, but what of the others? I suppose it's the luck of the draw. Here's hoping I'm lucky.

Until next time in TAAOA.

1 comments:

Jordan & Shanda said...

Just found your blog!! How are you-sounds great.... We can keep in touch now!