Among Other Things, My IP Phone

The bane of my existence. Why, O why can't we just have regular phones with answering machines, rather than the high-tech, Internet-based, phone-of-the-future ridiculosity they give us. I don't care if I can manage how often the phone reminds me that someone's on hold after thirty seconds or set up to ninety-nine speed dials or whatever else this crazy phone can do 'through a convenient online interface'. I'm not a secretary or receptionist; I couldn't even pass the Office Skills Test they have in the Employment Center. It's like giving a Swiss Army knife to someone to spread butter with. Or more aptly, to eat soup with. Argh.


So anyway, with this phone (which all of the RAs have as their "office phone") we have to log in to hear messages (which is possibly the only thing I'll ever do out of the plethora of talents this phone seems to have, if I even do that), and I tried setting up my voicemail recording, but the phone won't let me in. IT can't even figure out what the problem is, so they are having the phone company call me to settle things. So now I'm definitely frustrated. I'm having all my residents just call my cell phone. Then what to do with the phone? Hmmm.


In other, more pleasant news, I have roommates! They all seem to be really nice and I'm excited to know them better. The atmosphere at Wyview has shifted from sedate expectation to joyous anticipation now that the freshmen are here. Their excitement is infectious, seeping through the stairwells and corridors, multipying in the warm sun. Ah, new beginnings. You get to leave your old self at home, and have a chance make a new, better self here, where preconceptions don't exist. Even if it's a simple newness--"I'm going to be known for being neat and tidy here, where before I could never keep my room clean," or "I'm going to get outside myself this year, instead of being shy and reserved," it's still exciting.

It's really an inspiring environment to be in, and interesting to observe it as an upperclassman. It's fun to remember being in their position, and I'm glad I get to work so closely with them. The happy novelty of the first year experience at BYU is perrenial for the lucky RAs of freshmen buildings, even if it's slightly less novel when it's vicarious.


So even though annoyances carry on, so do the Amiable Adventures of Amy.


Until next time!

0 comments: