My Disillusionment

No, I'm not having any second thoughts about the job; however, I have had the realization thrust upon me that this is a job, and not always a blast (though it usually is from my limited experience with it).

We did our building prep today, and I was teamed up with Oliver, from the building directly across from me. Oliver is a very handy guy to have handy when you are doing lots of climbing and lifting and carrying and dragging. Anyway, we were responsible for going over a pretty extensive checklist for all of the apartments in both of our buildings, and then replacing everything that was missing. This required an extensive amount of the manual labor described above, and was an all-afternoon job. Twice I walked into an apartment and was about knocked out by leaking gas. These apartments were left alone all this hot summer, so there were some valves and joints that had flexed just enough in the heat that they came slightly loose.

Anyway, I called University Police, and they took care of it for me. Now I'm wearily making name tags and pondering a little about my residents. Who are they? What are their hopes and dreams? Why did they come to BYU? I'm really looking forward to helping them and learning from them. I've already gotten a few of the girls in, but the big rush is not yet. Soon, all shall be revealed!



Until next time in TAAOA.

0 comments: